In class we've had a whole debate going over whether or not Logan Killicks deserved more of a chance. I hadn't even questioned Janie's choice that much before, which is why I was so confused by the arguments. No, Janie should not have run away with a guy she knew for such a short amount of time, but I don't think it was healthy for her to stay with Logan, either.
Janie's seventeen! Married to a guy who is significantly older than her and wanting completely different things than she does! Pardon me if I'm being a touch idealistic, but is it really so bad to want a girl to end up happily ever after married to the perfect guy with identical interests who loves her unconditionally? Just kidding, that's unrealistic. Because clearly our society has no concept of love. Really. Not everything has to be practical, guys.
Either way, Janie's not being simply idealistic and whiny when she leaves Logan. She truly doesn't think she can handle it. Janie isn't just annoyed by Logan, she hates him. "Ah'd ruther be shot wid tacks than tuh turn over in de bed and stir up de air whilst he is in dere," she says. She despises him. It goes a long way past frustration. I can't imagine having to live with someone on a daily basis whom I couldn't bear to be around. Sure, a fairytale marriage would be preferable, but I'd probably be fine with something less than perfection.
I shudder imagining being forced to marry a man I couldn't live with everyday. Considering Janie's circumstances and tensions, I don't blame her a bit for leaving with the first guy who came along. She proved that she could stick by her next less-than-perfect husband, Joe for over 20 years. Therefore I don't think it was a case of her bored, whimsical nature at all. It was a case of being with a person who was so wrong for her that a relationship wasn't possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment